HISTORY OF SALOMA KENTUCKY  

HISTORY OF SALOMA KENTUCKY
and How It Got the Nickname Pinchum




The small community of Saloma is located on Highway 744, about halfway between Highway 289 and Highway 210. When Kentucky was still a young state, Saloma was considered for the state capitol, but was voted out by a very small margin.

When Campbellsville was formed in the 1840's, Saloma was in District Number 2. At the time the Justices of the Peace were: Durham Sanders and John Durham. The constable was Joel C. Durham. In 1840 Saloma had 2 stores, 1 tavern, 2 doctors, and 12 mechanics shops. The first Tavern License was issued to Carter Shipp for Saloma. During the 1840's Saloma had a larger population than Campbellsville.

Among those who first settled Saloma and whose names are on the first platt were: R. H. Mulkey, W. H. Mitchum, J. Ketchun, G. W. Jeter, W. R. Kirtley, N. D. Ramsey, W. L. Ramsey, C. Saxton, A. F. Nelson, A. Hash, H. Durham, I. Farrell, and M. A. Jones. Other settlers that were at Saloma in the early days were: Cowherd, Nelson, Sanders, Wright, Durham, Hill, Russell, Young, Noe, Buchanan, Buckner, Hazard, Cushenberry, and Gupton.

In 1848, the road overseers {or viewers) for the road from Saloma to Campbellsville were: James W. Lively, R. P. Sanders (who was also the sheriff of Taylor County), George W. Asper, and A. F. Gowdy.

The Lexington-Nashville Turnpike also went through Saloma. It is a well known fact that Andrew Jackson traveled on this road on his way to Washington.

At one time Saloma had a post office, a blacksmith's shop (which was near a log cabin), and two general stores (one of which was brick and the other still stands). There was also a lodge in one of the general stores.

In past years, Saloma had two churches. The Morton's Chapel United Methodist Church was there before the Saloma Baptist Church. When the Methodist Church became few in number, it merged with another church to form Saint Mark's United Methodist Church. The Methodist Church was where Ed Gault's Grocery store was located. The Saloma Baptist Church was organized and dedicated on December 14, 1951.

There had been a grist mill where the Saloma Baptist Church is now. The mill was run by a gasoline engine,and later switched to natural gas (which came from a gas well near the mill). The mill was owned by Charles and Henry Druin. The charge for grinding feed was 10 cents a bushel, or if you didn't have the money they took 1/8 of the product for payment.

There was also a sawmill, which was also owned by the Druins. They would move the sawmill to wherever there was wood to be cut. Johnny Franklin and Oshen Gupton ran a thrashing machine which would be taken to the farm of anyone who needed their wheat thrashed.

Saloma has, at times, been referred to as Durham Town or Pinchum. They called it Durham Town because there were so many Durhams living there. Legend has it that it was named Pinchum because (many years ago), some of the men (if they wanted a drink) would go into one of the stores and pinch the man that owned it and he would know to get them some whiskey. The men would do this and their wife would never know that they were drinking.

Another version of this story was during the moonshine days when one man would go to the general store and pinch his friends which let them know he had a new batch and they'd go drink it.

Regardless of the story the area became known more as "Pinchem" than Saloma. However, the nickname is becoming less used as the older generation passes away. Most now refer to it as Saloma. No sense of History.

At one time everyone used natural gas for their heating and lighting. The gas was pumped from the Mac Hill Farm. There was also a well dug for the town's water supply, but just about everyone had a well.

There were about five homes there during the early 20th Century, including a log cabin. There was also a general store near these homes. On Saturday afternoons everyone gathered together and played games, such as baseball and marbles. The men and boys played horseshoes.

During this time there was a one room school house in Saloma. All of the white children attended from grades one through eight. When the children finished the eighth grade, they had to take a test and if they passed, they were allowed to attend Campbellsville High School. The black children from Saloma and Good Hope attended the school in the Beechgrove Community. The school in Saloma also served as the voting headquarters foe many years.

The post office for the entire area of Saloma was in the brick general store and the lodge was located across the street. Tradition says that Dr. Charles Murphy built the post office during the 1800's. During the early 20th Century Johnny Young owned the Post Office which was later run by his son, Lee Young.

In September, 1943, the Federal Power Commission issued a certificate authorizing the Tennessee Gas Pipeline. During the time the Tennessee Gas Transmission Plant was getting underway, Saloma was a booming little community. The TGT Plant created many jobs which helped the community as well as the town of Campbellsville. The employees moved to Saloma and built shot gun houses to live in while they worked there. When they had to let some of the workers go they sold the houses to several private buyers. The TGT Plant also serves a vital purpose to the many area farmers. Farmers are permitted to use water from the plant for their crops at no cost.

Saloma has some of the best farmland in Taylor County and is prosperous today. Saloma has always been an important part of Taylor County for over 100 years and is continuing to be a vital part of the area today.




Return

-- Return to Saloma Main Page